A bull, a bear and a globe formed the logo for The Exchange in the late 1980s, the Tivoli building's return to the Cambridge limelight after years as a warehouse and a spell of being unoccupied.
From an advertising feature in the Cambridge Evening News, 1988:
There's no mistaking the inspiration behind The Exchange - Cambridge's new and ambitious bar and brasserie.
Quite apart from the name, there are plenty of hints in the menu which offers such delights as Opening Bids and the Big Bang while the cocktail list includes The Predator and USM (Unlisted Securities Market): the Stock Exchange cannot be far away...
An old name is about to return to Chesterton Road with the opening of a new public house: the Tivoli Cinema building has been used as a warehouse and several licenced entertainment venues since the cinema closed in 1956, and is now embarking on yet another new era as a public house - under its original name.
A spokesman for pub chain JD Wetherspoon, which is behind the initiative, and which also runs The Regal in St Andrew’s Street, said the new pub would have two floors and a large beer garden.
Local residents have voiced concerns, but here at Cambridge Back Chat we hope the new venture is a success and manages to slot happily into the district. It will be good to see the "Tivoli" name back in circulation in Cambridge, and the building again being cared for as a going concern.
The opening date for the Tivoli public house is 26 July. We'll certainly be popping in for a nice glass of lemonade!
The interior of The Tivoli in its heyday as a cinema (Cambridgeshire Collection). Note the ceiling decorations, which were "returned to their former glory" at the time of the building's revamp into The Exchange in 1988 (see below).
Read some more Cambridge Back Chat Tivoli information here.